Education &Governance Sector Coordinator: Abdullahi Hassan Maalim
The sector is relatively new and we have just begun on the course to collaborate with like-minded stakeholders in our mandate that are as indicated below;
- Coordination of Education and Governance components in FCDC;
- Contribution to project design processes for new or adapted Education and Governance programming, including the development of budgets, proposal narratives, log frames, and other supporting documents.
- Advise FCDC on Education and Governance policy matters and provide strategic guidance on them;
- Reviews, discusses and agrees with FCDC secretariat and sector members on policy/decisions/work plans progress of Education and Governance;
- Maximize impact of Education and Governance interventions by promoting synergies and complementarities with other FCDC Sectors and/or National/County Departments and Partners;
- Facilitates information sharing and exchange of best practices/lessons learned between the Member Counties in the fields of Education and Governance;
- Identifies and supports joint assessments and analysis to strengthen joint planning and inform Education and Governance Strategic Plans and frameworks as well as future interventions in the Sector;
- Maps and regularly updates a list of all stakeholders in the Education and Governance Sector in the Member Counties;
- Updates and shares the Action Plan for the Sector on quarterly basis with the management of FCDC for consolidation with the other Sectors reports;
- Conducts trainings and workshops on Education and Governance for the Education and Governance Departments of the Member Counties;
- Develops and shares progress reports with all stakeholders and that information from other sectors and clusters is made available to Sector members in order to improve planning, integration and implementation.
AREAS OF COLLABORATION
(a). Aga Khan University-Institute of Human Development (AKU-IHD)
We have expanded and deepened the existing collaboration with Aga Khan University-Institute of Human Development on inclusivity on Early Childhood Development and have attended a number of activities with them. The Isiolo meeting attended by a number of collaborating organizations with the intent of creating opportunity for ECD stakeholders to share and learn more about inclusivity in Early Childhood Development was held on 19th May 2023.
Aga Khan University-Institute of Human Development has:
- Accepted to fund our proposal titled “Strengthening Early Childhood Development in the FCDC Member Counties through Muti-Sectoral Approach”. The project that is anticipated to begin very soon key outcomes are establishment of the Education Sector, Development of FCDC Education Plan and further collaborations with likeminded stakeholders such as Foreign Commonwealth Development Organization in the implementation of the plan.
- We have also collaborated with AKU-IHD in seeking for funding from International Development Research Centre (a Canadian Research Centre) through a project entitled “Care for All-Catalyzing Care Innovation in Marginalized and Vulnerable Kenya’s ASAL.” Our proposal has gone through the first stage of acceptance.
(b). Ministry of Education/National Council for Nomadic Education in Kenya (NACONEK)
We are working with MOE/NACONEK/UNICEF and other partners in amplifying the advocacy for the Out-of School-Children Campaign and have a series of activities targeting the political leadership from the Member Counties Assemblies through National Assembly Members and Governors.
(b). Mercy Corps/USAID NAWIRI
We are soon embarking on a governance project entitled “Creating an Enabling Environment in FCDC Counties for Addressing Food Security and Nutritional Needs through a Multi-Sectoral Approach” with Mercy Corps/USAID NAWIRI Programme. The key areas of collaboration are;
- Mapping nutrition-specific and nutrition-sensitive policy and legal landscape through Strengthening of Community Health Systems and Structures, youth and gender empowerment, climate change adaptation and mitigation, Rangelands and Natural Resources Policy and Trade revolving fund policy.
- Strengthening of FCDC Sectoral Forums that include Sector Forum for Agriculture and Livestock (SFAL), Sector Forum for Peace, Cohesion, and Conflict Resolution, Sector Forum for Health, Sector Forum for Education and Governance and Sector Forum for Gender & Youth Empowerment.
- Strengthening of coordination by establishing FCDC/NGOs Forum, Governors/NAWIRI Meetings, NGOs/County Leadership meetings.
- Knowledge Management through Short-term consultancy on critical evidence-building areas for advocacy and dissemination of existing and new findings/recommendations.
- Scaling up FCDC ownership and advocacy support of initial/ongoing areas of engagement. They are Ward Development Fund Act/Bill, Gender Bill, and FCDC Bill.