Who We Are
The Frontier Counties Development Council (FCDC) is a regional economic bloc composed of the County Governments of Lamu, Tana River, Garissa, Wajir, Mandera, Marsabit, Isiolo, Turkana, Samburu and West Pokot in the aftermath of devolution.
Registered formally in March 2016, the Council promotes cooperation, coordination and information sharing between Counties in view of strengthening devolution, enhancing socioeconomic development and promoting peaceful coexistence among its members.
FCDC is mandated to facilitate the review and the integration of relevant policies, particularly those that affect directly on frontier counties to ensure there is a better collaboration among concerned agencies and authorities beyond frontier counties’ boundaries and jurisdictions.
FCDC provides a shared platform for cohesive political steer, transformative leadership and a framework for effectively achieving development results through collective action for people centered development.
Specifically, FCDC aims to:
Our Ways of Working
- FCDC has established Sector Forums as instruments to enhance cooperation, coordination and information flow between counties on issues related to priority thematic issues. They are composed of County Executive Committee Members (CECs) for the respective sectors, who meet regularly. Sector Forums are supported by Coordinators based at the Secretariat.
2. FCDC actively contributes to the development and enforcement of plans, policies and systems in member counties especially where needs are similar. Special expertise is brought in to develop and finalize bills that can be discussed and approved by County Assemblies, for example, to build foundations for peace in the region.
3. FCDC brings key stakeholders together and partners, to enhance learning and knowledge transfer among member counties and communities and to accelerate socio-economic development in the FCDC region.
4. FCDC fosters collaboration and partnerships among its members to create synergies between counties, promote cooperation and co-ordination, share information and to promote inter-county values on various thematic areas.
5. Collaboration and partnerships are also enhanced with external partners to spearhead development in the FCDC region.